The first post of the year comes in a little late from us but better late than never, right? 2017 showed us the good, the bad and the ugly, and we’d be lying if we said we didn’t learn a lot from it. They don’t say Life is the biggest teacher for nothing. We won some, we lost some, but most importantly, we identified flaws and decided to improve ourselves and grow from there.
Now we won’t beat a dead horse when it comes to resolutions, because we all know that pretty much disappears with the first ray of sun of the New Year. But we will vow to ourselves, to do better and be better, and that will only happen if you first recognize and accept your flaws.
Here’s what we’re working on;
- Being asocial: Sometimes, we’re so caught up being in our own world and being happy and gay that we forget the world outside. This year is going to be all about being more social, getting out more and meeting more people.
- Being hyperactive: I [Urmi] am a super hyper individual. Whether it’s finishing up a to-do list or multi-tasking, I cannot sit still with a racing mind when there are things to get done. Over the years, I have gotten people to work for us and have delegated certain tasks, but as the years go by, I do need to take easy and take just one step at a time.
- Being addicted to the phone: Much of our work requires to constantly being on the phone at all times & I hate the red notification bubbles on my screen. I miss the days when I had time to myself and could catch up on movies and read new books. A social detox, cleanse, whatchamallit is needed every now and then. That’s why, I’ve decided to dedicate a fixed time for all our social media activities. With an hour in the morning and another in the evening for it all – social media updates, emails, replies to comments and more. Hello me time!
- Keeping in touch: Having low-maintenance friends is a boon. Don’t get me wrong. I love my friends, but in this fast paced city, carving out time, especially those that match schedules, is incredibly difficult. They’re my thickest friends, yet somehow we go by months without speaking. Having said that, I do need to make sure I still drop in a text or call with the occasional ‘hey’.
- Getting fit again: We all have our high and lows and last year in particular was a little rough on my family and I. Whilst dealing with things, I left my routine. It’s time to get back to being fit, whether hitting the gym or joining yoga glasses. Top of the list!
Here’s Hemal’s goal list;
- Managing anger: It’s very easy to blow your lid on the smallest of things and get angry. It not only hampers those around you but yourself as well. Being more positive and accepting of situations beyond your control is the way to go forward and deal with problems.
- Balancing life: It’s a huge change of space and life when you go from living with your parents all your life to being married. When mom’s around, you just know you don’t have to have a worry in the world, but post marriage the responsibility of managing the house and work has gotten a tad bit difficult. The right schedule will maintain a good and healthy balance between the two!
- Punctuality: Have you ever had that one friend who was chronically late? Hello, hi! That would be me. Always late, no matter what, there’s always something that foils my plans and stops me from reaching on time. This year, I WILL un-jinx my tardiness.
- Getting out of my comfort zone: Putting yourself out there is one of the scariest things you can do. Sometimes we are so used to our space that we remain inclined to stay in it forever. I never dare to try out anything new and am forever in a touch-me-not zone. This year it’s time to turn it on its head, be experimental and succeed. Yeah!
- Being technologically challenged: You’d be shocked to know that my iOS hasn’t been updated in years. I really need to improve my skills and up my game!
Self-improvement is the way to being a good human being and we agree. It is always good to remind yourself that you aren’t perfect and the areas you need to work on. Imperfection isn’t a flaw, but not trying to constantly be better and growing, sure is. That’s the least, we owe ourselves.
So here’s to 2018. Here’s to being better versions of us. We’re bringing our A-game.
Are you ready?
Hemal's Outfit: Dress, Posh Pride| Earrings, Purple High by Ajanta | Belt, Vero Moda| Sunglasses, Rayban
Urmi's Outfit: Bodysuit, Posh Pride| Neckpiece, Purple High by Ajanta | Belt & Skirt, H&M| Sunglasses, Rayban
Photo Credit: Rahul Rio Photography
Written by: Hemantee Vijan